Lost amid the controversy and flamethrowers surrounding the 3-3 Eagles are the strong performances by several individual players. Dan Graziano of ESPN.com has singled out DeMeco Ryans and DeSean Jackson among others as worthy of all-NFC East status right now based on their body of work so far.
Here's Graziano's current NFC East honor roll:
Quarterback: Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (Last week: Eli Manning)
Running back: Alfred Morris, Redskins (Morris)
Wide receiver: Victor Cruz, New York Giants; DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagles (Cruz, Jackson)
Tight end: Brent Celek, Eagles (Celek)
Fullback: Henry Hynoski, Giants (Darrel Young)
Left tackle: Trent Williams, Redskins (Williams)
Left guard: Evan Mathis, Eagles (Mathis)
Center: Will Montgomery, Redskins (Montgomery)
Right guard: Chris Snee, Giants (Snee)
Right tackle: Todd Herremans, Eagles (Herremans)
Defensive end: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants; Jason Hatcher, Dallas Cowboys (Pierre-Paul, Jason Babin)
Defensive tackle: Cullen Jenkins, Eagles; Linval Joseph, Giants (Jenkins, Joseph)
Outside linebacker: Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins; DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys (Kerrigan, Ware)
Inside linebacker: Sean Lee, Cowboys; DeMeco Ryans, Eagles (Lee, Ryans)
Cornerback: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Eagles, Josh Wilson, Redskins (Rodgers-Cromartie, Brandon Carr)
Safety: Antrel Rolle and Stevie Brown, Giants (Rolle, Nate Allen)
Kicker: Lawrence Tynes, Giants (Tynes)
Punter: Sav Rocca, Redskins (Rocca)
Kick returner: David Wilson, Giants (Wilson)
Punt returner: Rueben Randle, Giants (Randle)
DeMeco Ryans has returned to great form at MLB, according to Graziano and most observers around the league.
Graziano explains some of his selections:
- Yeah, yeah, I know. The Eagles' offensive line is playing lousy and the Giants' line is playing great, so how do the Eagles have two linemen and the Giants only one? It's a really good question, and the answer is that Mathis and Herremans play the two positions at which the Giants' line is the weakest. I gave really long looks this week to Will Beatty at left tackle and David Baas at center, but the Redskins' linemen are playing well enough to hold off both, and neither Kevin Boothe nor Sean Locklear is outplaying Mathis or Herremans. If the spot were for "team offensive line," the Giants would edge out the Redskins at this point. And maybe they can all take pride in helping Hynoski overtake Young at fullback.
- Speaking of Giants knocking on the door, cornerback Prince Amukamara deserves recognition for his performance since coming back from injury. He's as fundamentally sound a corner as I see every week, and now that he's healthy he's playing extremely well. He was probably the No. 3 guy on the list this week.
- The Eagles' pass-rushers have been disappointing, and Hatcher has played well up front for the Cowboys, so he makes a rare appearance as a 3-4 end.
- The inside linebacker making a push is not London Fletcher, but rather Fletcher understudy Perry Riley, who's been very disruptive both up front and in coverage. Fletcher's played well, and neither Lee nor Ryans has done anything to deserve to have his spot threatened, but Riley is worth a mention as he blossoms in Washington.
- Tynes has just made a lot more kicks than anyone else has, and Wilson is a difference-making return man. Still haven't seen a kick or punt returned for a touchdown in this division since Jackson ran back a game-winner against the Giants in December 2010, but Wilson looks like he's close to breaking one, doesn't he?
Interesting look at the Giants on that list through Graziano's eyes...but even moreso the Redskins and Cowboys. We get somewhat of an advance scout's impressions of which players are trending hot right now around the division. Prince Amukamara coming on strong at CB? Really? Graziano thinks so...I need to watch the Giants games closer, I guess.
BRI SUKS EGG FANCY FANTASY FOOTBALL RESULTS-- WEEK 6....
JB-Sage-Lion's BriSlappers were finally defeated and now sit atop the league at 5-1, but with only a narrow half-game lead over Leo's Skunk Apes and Brozer's BriFantasyBoys, both of whom are now at 4-1-1.
BriFantasyBoys (Brozer) 144, BriSlappers (JB-Sage-Lion) 121...
Team Big Bone (Boner) 97, Palm Feathers 54...
DirtyStinkin'Bums (ATV) 127, Splunker Skunk Apes (Leo) 91...
HAHA Harmonica (Harry) 122, Jetpack Ninja Dino's (Jerky) 90...
Great PPW 125, Hudrocks Hoes (Hud) 95...
Evans Head Beanstalk (Beano) 114, Hoof Hearted Ice (Spiffo) 76.
Team Standings W L T GB
BriSlappers (JB-Sage-Lion) 5 1 ...
SplunkerSkunkApes (Leo) 4 1 1 .5
Bri'sFantasyBoys (Brozer) 4 1 1 .5
EvansHead Beanstalk 4 2 1
HAHA Harmonica (Harry) 3 3 2
DirtyStinkin'Bums (ATV) 3 3 2
Hudrock Hoes (Hud) 3 3 2
Great PPW 3 3 2
Hoof Heart (Spiffo) 2 4 3
Big Bone (Boner) 2 4 3
Palm Feathers 1 5 4
Jetpack Ninja Dinos (Jerky) 1 5 4
Rats....just one day of football for m that means anything this week end...Cacks at the Ugly Lizards house of ill repute...we are limping in der but we will skin us some lizards...Lattimore probably not starting...I've strategically place high pressure water cannons all over Florida's stadium so's I can cut dem bastards down when they start that frigging gator chomp...who the hell name's their stadium "the swamp" anyyways..swamps stink.....literally....
HAHA...........same thing happens AGAIN ! Gore v Thomas in the open field !!!
This time though,....Gore learned.
He just slid to the ground,...like a QB,.....when he ventured into Earl Thomas' territory !
Get your yardage, then get DOWN. Smart.
Earl Thomas drops Frank Gore in the open field at the 10 yard line, when Gore had a full head of steam running right at him. Nobody else wiffin 5 yards....Thomas on an island, wiff the goal line 7 yards behind him.
Gore dropped like a sack of taters.
2 plays later, Smiff throws endzone INT.
THAT S A !$ POINT SWING (assuming hawks score TD on this drive....why wouldn't they ?)
All this talk about food - I had to go weigh myself for inspiration.
Started out as big as an NFL Linebacker - 255.
Lost 23 lbs so far..... I'm ALMOST at the size of our D-Ends!!!!!!
Two months with no microwaved cow with cheese
One month with no Pizza or french fries
Three weeks with no ciggys.
Two weeks with no Eagles victories..............
I am so happy I could CRAP! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@Palm Feathers Is that why you are on this new diet? you couldn't crap?
gonna really live it up tonight - shove some sewing needles in my eyes
HEY PALMY!!!!! I wuz just in Sarasota today... hahaha.... what's that smell? and what's the deal with all them cameras on every building?
Hey Palmy............better punch yer mailman in da mouff....................Spiffy intercepted yer Funnel Cake and turned it into Cheesesteak Surprize......and ate it. Either dat or "da Queen" got to it first.........Sorry.
@dutchrubb Dat cheezesteak cake sounds DEE LISH!
@Jerky Kinda gagged me a little bit..........if you know what "funnel cake" really is.
@Jerky BTW, You have us Dutch to thank for Funnel cakes.......we invented them............YWIA.
@dutchrubb Cheesesteaks are so damn good in all seriousness, I like to put a shit ton of Franks Red Hots on mine loaded with saboyas!
@dutchrubb Even BETTER!
@dutchrubb Who doesn't know what a funnel cake is? I like mine with strawberries and tons of powdered sugar, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, greaseeeeey
@Jerky Yeah.......but make a cheesesteak outta it?
@dutchrubb Its greasy fair food. I love it.
Geez - do I have to watch you guys 24/7 ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!